Curriculum Process + Forms
Curriculum changes in the College of Built Environments must be reviewed by the BE Curriculum Committee before moving through the campus process. The process for submitting course and program applications for review is outlined below; please pay attention to the Deadlines and Submission Process sections.
Curriculum Committee Roster
Manish Chalana, Chair, Urban Design and Planning (email@example.com)
Rick Mohler, Architecture
Ahmed Aziz, Construction Management
Lynne Manzo, Landscape Architecture
Jan Whittington, Urban Design and Planning
Introduction to BE Curriculum Committee Process
- The curriculum committee meets every other week, not including the first week of the quarters, the exam weeks, and the break between subsequent quarters. The committee will not meet during the summer quarters.
- The committee reviews and approves the applications and advises the issuing department on the issues that might delay the endorsement by the committee or the university.
- The departments have the right to reject the comments of the curriculum committee. Such rejection to the comments must be communicated in writing (or email) to the committee chair.
- The Committee chair will not be able to sign on an application form if the form is not complete even if the committee has no objections on the material content of the application. The issuing department should follow the instructions provided by the university for each form and appropriately acknowledge all the required and sections.
Committee Meeting Schedule
The curriculum committee meets every other week, not including the first week of the quarters, the exam weeks, and the break between subsequent quarters. The committee will not meet during the summer quarters.
Exceptions to this meeting schedule:
- Exam Week: The above submission windows do not include the exam week and the break between subsequent quarters. The Committee will not meet in such periods and will not review applications during these times.
- Summer Quarter/Break: The Committee does not meet during the summer quarter and break. As such, applications that are prepared for the University summer deadlines (e.g. July 2nd) should be submitted at least three to four weeks before the last deadline for the spring quarter (i.e. June 1st ) depending on the application type (course change or new course/program).
- Winter Break: The Committee will not meet and will not review applications during the break following the autumn quarter including the Christmas and New year holiday times. As such, applications that are prepared for the University winter deadlines (e.g. January 3rd ) should be submitted at least three to four weeks before the last deadline for the autumn quarter (i.e. December 1st ) depending on the application type (course change or new course/program).
The minimum times to submit an application before the university deadlines are:
- For course changes: allow three calendar weeks (15 working days) for submitting the applications.
- For new courses and program changes: allow four calendar weeks (20 working days) for submitting the applications.
- Submission Site: Use the following UW Catalyst GoPost website to submit the applications https://catalyst.uw.edu/gopost/board/amaziz/26403/ Please see further instructions in the website. (This is a pilot project to streamline the submission procedure). If the website experiences problems, please submit the applications to my email address.
- Submission Site Access: Department Chairs have access to the website. Please send the name and emails of one or two department representatives to the Curriculum Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) in order to have them authorized to use the website, as well.
- Application Format: For each course/program application, provide a scanned copy of the application (form, syllabus, etc.) combined in ONE PDF file. This will provide for better management of the applications.
- Posting Details:
- Format Application (see instructions above)
- Post to UW GoPost Site
- When posting the application to the website have the following dates listed in the body of the message post: i. Applications submitted on: …., ii. UW deadline date: …. iii. Department prefer return date: ….
- Send an email to the Committee Chair (email@example.com) notifying of submission of an application.
- Have the signed paper copies of the applications sent to the mail box of the committee chair, (currently Box 351610, 120F Architecture Hall) or submitted to his/her office.